Doñana’s Singular Scientific-Technical Infrastructure (ICTS-RBD) aims at:
- Providing access and support for the Spanish and international scientific community that carry out research at the Doñana Protected Areas.
- Developing and implementing cutting-edge sensor systems interconnected by communication infrastructures, to ensure the automated monitoring of Doñana’s wildlife and ecosystems, as well as the development of scientific research relying on such monitoring.
To achieve these aims, the ICTS-RBD undertakes the following tasks:
- Research Support: ICTS-RBD provides researchers working in Doñana with housing, laboratories, equipment and office space; as well as scientific, technical and logistic support.
- Biodiversity Monitoring: ICTS-RBD runs several facilities and programs monitoring the status and trends of biodiversity at Doñana’s Protected Areas and, more broadly, at the Western Mediterranean region. These include the Doñana Monitoring Program, the Bird Ringing Lab and the Doñana Scientific Collections.
- Data Infrastructure: The ICTS-RBD data infrastructure provides free online access for the international scientific community to all the information gathered by the Biodiversity Monitoring facilities and programs. To facilitate the search and use of this information, it also provides IT Services such as OLAP Cubes and virtual laboratories (elabs).
- Global Change Observatory: This is the window of the ICTS-RBD to the general public. It provides a laymen, easy-acess platform to the scientific activities developed at Doñana, as well as essential indicators of the status and trends of its wildlife and ecosystems, and opportunities for citizen participation.
Doñana’s Biological Reserve (RBD) belongs to the Doñana Biological Station (EBD-CSIC), a research institute of the Spanish Research Council (CSIC). In 2006, it joined the ICTS network of the Spanish Ministry of Economy, Industry and Competitiveness includes “large installations, resources, facilities and services … dedicated to cutting edge and high quality research and technological development, as well as to promote exchange, transmission and preservation of knowledge, technology transfer and innovation”.